Forum

RIM month--what are...

RIM month--what are you planning/have you done?  

RSS

Earl Johnson Jr., CRM
(@ejjr-21)
27/12/2018 4:23 pm  

Good afternoon,

As you all may know, April is records management month. I'm looking to plan something special at my company, a company I might add, that has never had a formal records management program before. I'm curious as to what--if anything, you are planning for RIM month next year? I'm especially interested in how you've introduced RIM month to a company that is unfamiliar with formal RIM.

As usual, any and all suggestions, comments and feedback are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This topic was modified 12 months ago 2 times by Earl Johnson Jr., CRM

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Records Management Lead
IT Data Enterprise & Information Management
Marathon Petroleum Corporation

Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
02/01/2019 9:05 am  

Good morning!  Happy 2019!

Here are some RIM ideas that others and I have used:

Food - Have food and give out flyers or brochures about your program to colleagues.  Identify when and why they should contact you.

Games - Have a contest on a RIM related activity by person or department.  Make the prize something people would be proud to receive.

Posters - You can create posters and put them in common areas.

Hope this helps!

Andrew Ysasi, MS
FIP, CIPM, CIPP, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP
Vice President of Advocacy | VRC

snystedt liked
ReplyQuote
Earl Johnson Jr., CRM
(@ejjr-21)
02/01/2019 1:53 pm  

Hi Andrew and thanks for the suggestions. Food is always a good draw, and the right kind of games may be too. Do you know of any games that will help educate staff about records management?

Thanks again for your response, I appreciate it.

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Records Management Lead
IT Data Enterprise & Information Management
Marathon Petroleum Corporation

ReplyQuote
Sharon Burnett
(@sharon-burnett)
09/01/2019 11:25 am  

Hi Earl,

Last year was the first time that we had much for RIM month. Rather than have a stand-alone celebration/education & training event, I tapped into existing activities and opportunities with a goal of giving folks some tools that they may use here at work and also at home.

I wrote a column on records management safety tips for our monthly employee safety newsletter. We developed 4 weekly activities to earn points for our employee wellness program (our wellness program extends beyond the gym). One of our activities was 5 multiple choice questions that asked the employee to access our retention schedules - a scavenger hunt so-to-speak. We participated in our annual Earth Fair. We allowed our employees to bring in a bag of personal papers for our spread program, had literature, swag, and really good chocolate. I gave the monthly Tech Talk. In this case I focused a some basics about managing your digital life. Again learnings to use at home or at work. I did have a few handbook available. One is titled, "I'm Dead...Now What?" It was a big hit. I got invited back for this year 🙂

Good luck with your event(s)!

Rock on, Sharon B

This post was modified 11 months ago by Sharon Burnett

Sharon Burnett, CRM, IGP
s_d_b@msn.com
Seattle Washington USA

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apart and see why."

ReplyQuote
snystedt
(@snystedt)
09/01/2019 12:17 pm  

Hi Earl, 

Jeopardy is always an engaging game, especially is you have competitive folks 🙂

Sheri Nystedt, CRM, CIP, IGP, ERMm
AVP, Information & Records Governance | Janus Henderson Investors

ReplyQuote
TXhassett
(@txhassett)
12/04/2019 9:58 am  

Good Morning,

I am looking for any ideas for a quick 1 page records management purge tips for our corporate lawyers. 

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
06/06/2019 8:45 am  

Tip #1 Always review your records retention schedule

Tip #2 always review your Legal Hold listings

Tip #3 if you aren't sure ask your records manager

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Melissa
(@melissa)
13/09/2019 9:08 pm  

I realize it is well past RIM Month... but it still seems rather on topic to inquire if anyone has done any specific (and successful) engagement for electronic document cleanup...specifically those ever sprawling file shares.  Thoughts??

ReplyQuote
Share: