Forum

Lean Six Sigma cert...

Lean Six Sigma certification anyone?  

RSS

earljohnsonjr_crm
(@earljohnsonjr_crm)
23/07/2019 1:41 pm  

Just curious if any records managers have Lean Six Sigma certification? If so, has it helped you career or your work? If s, can you share how?

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM

Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
26/07/2019 11:01 am  

Hi Earl!  I've heard of people getting this certification and do believe some in RIM have it.  My question would be, is there a business driver or leader encouraging you to pursue this certification? Have you considered project management certifications?

Hope all is well in da South!

Andrew

Andrew Ysasi, MS
FIP, CIPM, CIPP, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP
Vice President of Advocacy | VRC

ReplyQuote
Earl Johnson Jr., CRM
(@ejjr-21)
27/07/2019 3:08 pm  

@andrew

Hi Andrew,

I just happen to sit in on a lean six sigma introductory webinar last week and of course they made it out to be a huge plus to your career to have this certification (they were marketing their program). I got past that ploy and don't think it'd be necessary for a successful career in RIM, but I still wanted to reach out to what other pros are doing.

Yes, I've thought about getting the PMP but to be frank, I'm at the tail end of my career and am not sure how much it would help at this point. That's also true about the lean six sigma, but I could get that sooner than the PMP. As I think about it, not sure either of them would make that much of a difference now.

And that brings up another question for those of us who are "seasoned" in this profession... are additional certifications necessary to either continue your current job, or seek new roles in your career? Staying current in the field is important, of course, but at what point is that and experience not enough? 

I suspect I'd get different answers depending on age and/or where you are in your career, but I'm especially interested in learning what those who have been in this profession for 20+ years or so, think. Maybe I'll ask this as a separate question on this forum... 

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Corporate Records Manager
EJohnson@RavagoAmericas.com

ReplyQuote
Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
29/07/2019 2:51 pm  

Earl,

I think others are thinking about these issues/concerns too.

You are never too old to learn a skill or be certified.  However, if there is no value for the certification in your workplace, it may not be worth the investment.  However, if you plan to consult having these certifications can give you an edge.

If you are at the tail end of your career, I suggest at least becoming a CRA (Certified Records Analyst).  Prep for the exams should be light and becoming a CRA validates you know what it takes to be a records analyst.  Seasoned folks could pursue ARMA's IGP to ensure they have a grasp on Information Governance.

Getting a technical certification can help too.  While not overly popular among RIM folks, check out Microsoft SharePoint courses and if you feel confident continue to certify.  

Still not interesting?  You can always tell your story.  If you feel you have accomplished a lot in your career and want to give back, offer to mentor for ARMA, submit a presentation, or contact me to write an article for IG GURU!   Several of your peers have done this and find it rewarding and less stressful than taking an exam!

Hope all is well.

Andrew

Andrew Ysasi, MS
FIP, CIPM, CIPP, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP
Vice President of Advocacy | VRC

ReplyQuote
Share: