Forum

Digital Hoarding Co...

Digital Hoarding Could Be Harmful to Your Mental Health  

RSS

Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
11/03/2019 9:52 pm  

At last count, my wife and I have more than 12,000 photos and 1,300 videos in our two iCloud storage accounts, plus thousands of more family photos and movies scattered across a half dozen external hard drives that may or may not be functional. I have two active email accounts with a total of more than 28,000 read messages and 6,000 unread messages. I am the owner of two free Google Drive accounts, each with a 15 gigabyte capacity, plus 2 terabytes of iCloud storage that I paid for at some point and have no idea why.

I am, in other words, typical. According to a 2018 paper from Monash University in Australia, the average modern man and woman has access to 3.7 terabytes of digital storage space, either on a physical device or in the cloud. In 2017 alone, we human beings took an estimated 4.7 trillion photos on our smartphones, and Facebook uploads 300 million digital photos every day at a clip of 136,000 per second.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/mental-disorders/digital-hoarding-harmful-mental-health.htm

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

Share: