Forum

ARMA Pins and Subgr...

ARMA Pins and Subgroups  

RSS

Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
03/10/2018 11:33 am  

Ok, so I've been part of ARMA since 2007 (I know...I'm still a rookie ;)).  One thing that found out going to my first ARMA conference are the pins and subgroups.  Let's start with what I believe are conference specific pins.

There is the annual ARMA conference pin everyone receives.  There is also a pin for certified members of the ICRM (new pins came in recently!), there is a Goose pin that I believe is from ARMA Canada.  Is there an FAI pin for fellows?

Then there are pins for the subgroups.  For example, the ARMA Nostra is a group called the "family" that you can join, get a pin, and all proceeds get donated to the AIEF.  Second, there is The Clancy Clan.  The Clancy's are "drinkers with a records management problem" and are gathering Monday during this conference.  You get a pin, pay a fee, and have to participate in a group initiation activity that always gets a laugh!  Donations go to AIEF as well.  

There is also another group that has a ruby slipper for a pin.  While I have received a number of different explanations, this group appears to be the ARMA Pride group.  Unsure if there is a fee to join, but there is usually a party associated with it! 

Anyone else have their own ARMA pin or subgroup story?  Can anyone else help me fill in the blanks?  I wonder if IG GURU members will get a pin?!

Andrew Ysasi, MS
FIP, CIPM, CIPP, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP
Vice President of Advocacy | VRC

DouglasPAllen
(@douglaspallen)
03/10/2018 12:11 pm  

I'm happy to chime in, Andrew.  There have been a number of subgroups within ARMA, even one that no longer appears to be active that began with our Canadian members - you'll see those folks wearing a Canadian goose at ARMA Conferences.  A few have/had a "full size" goose that they hung around their necks, the others received a goose pin at ARMA Conferences.  That was a bit of an ARMA insiders group and was primarily social in nature, though most members had played some form of a leadership role within ARMA International.  I'm among those with the "goose pin" (because after all, I am old!).

Two other key groups - L'ARMA Nostra and the Clancy Clan have both been fun.  Members of each have been drawn from Association thought leaders and experienced volunteers (ok, except for the occasional Clancy Clan member who tolerated the group at their restaurants/bars).  The two groups above have had different purposes, with L'ARMA Nostra focused primarily on generating scholarship funds for the ARMA International Scholarship Foundation (AIEF).  That group, under "Godfather" Nick De Laurentis' leadership has been eminently successful in raising significant scholarship funds for the AIEF.  The Clancy Clan is as you described, but it too has raised funds for the AIEF through the cost of pins provided to new members.  

Each group has provided excellent networking opportunities for ARMA members.  It's always good to have a solid network of those who can help resolve/solve RIM challenges.  Each group has greatly supplemented the ARMA Conference experience as well, and each has sought out new members as some of us "age out" and as new members seek to enhance their ARMA experience.

Thanks for posting this, Andrew.... See you in Anaheim as I wave goodbye (drink in hand) to some very good ARMA friends on my way into retirement!!

Doug Allen, CRM, CDIA+

ReplyQuote
richardweinholdt
(@richardweinholdt)
03/10/2018 12:59 pm  

Good explanation Doug. There was also the ListServ group but I think they only had hats. I don't remember a pin but then there are a lot of things I don't remember. Maybe Peter K can expand on this one.

Of course pin exchange got really big for a time. Exchanging city, province, state pins was another way of getting to know more people. Then chapters got into the fun. There were also the special pins that one brought to conference to give to a special friend.

I still have all my pins. I think altogether they weigh 10-15 lbs. Michael Zampalla was the pin man with a great collection. 

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
03/10/2018 2:01 pm  

yes the recmgmt-l listserv did at least 2 pins IIRC, we also did a shirt one year and yes there was even a hat. those items were designed, developed and sold by members.

There is an FAI pin

ICRM pins there have been several iterations. the original pin was large, but then was reduced in size. Several years ago the ICRM came up with a new logo and pins were reissued and now we have a new official pin. For a few years the ICRM produced pins that were specific to the ARMA conference location.

I remember the chapter pin trading which was a great way to network with members from other parts of the country. Many chapters such as NYC or Northern New Jersey would come up with a new design each year. I collected them but would give them to my daughter when she was little. Then I decided to keep them. I have a vest that has a small part of my collection on it. the thing weighs over 10 pounds. Companies would also create pins for the conference. Iron Mountain to name but one would create a new pin each year.

i'll try to find some photos of unique pins and post them here

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
03/10/2018 2:01 pm  

Brenda Clements also had a great collection.

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Idahomcd
(@idahomcd)
04/10/2018 2:43 pm  

Not sure I can add much more to this conversation but will try.  Trading pins was a way to meet people and to network.  I have boxes and boxes of pins from past ARMA conferences, the most popular one being the Idaho Potato (I always thought it looked like a dog dropping).  Many chapters have also created specific chapter pins as well as the particular pins you see for different groups like the Clancy's, L'ARMA Nostra, ICRM, Canadian Goose (don't think our Candian friends are handing them out anymore).   You will also see pins from ARMA for the Fellows as well.  I would like to say L'ARMA Nostra has done great things for providing scholarship funds to the Foundation, but the Clancy's put on a night golf tournament at the first San Antonio conference that reaped a nice profit for the Foundation as well.  I still wear my Clancy, Canadian Goose, L'ARMA Nostra, ICRM, and Fellows pins with pride at every ARMA International Conference.  McD

ReplyQuote
JKST
 JKST
(@jkst)
04/10/2018 4:14 pm  

There is another very small group the PRGs.

ReplyQuote
Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
04/10/2018 4:24 pm  

Who are the PRG's?

Andrew Ysasi, MS
FIP, CIPM, CIPP, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP
Vice President of Advocacy | VRC

ReplyQuote
SusanW
(@susanw)
05/10/2018 5:09 am  

The Fellows have a pin as do pledge donors to the AIEF.

IG GURU liked
ReplyQuote
Share: