Forum

ARMA merges with In...

ARMA merges with Information Coalition (InfoGov Con)  

RSS

Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
09/10/2018 1:51 pm  

So!  You heard the big news today.  What are your thoughts?  If you didn't listen in on the announcement, you can get a snippet of the call here.

https://igguru.net/2018/10/09/arma-international-announces-merger-with-information-coalition-and-infogov-con-along-with-other-changes/

Andrew Ysasi, MS
FIP, CIPM, CIPP, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP
Vice President of Advocacy | VRC

Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
09/10/2018 7:48 pm  

Having been on the board in the past I think this is an excellent move. Nick Inglis has done a lot in the last few years to raise the profile of IG via InfoGovCon. I suspect that there will be some who say that this is just further proof that ARMA is abandoning records management.  Well they are wrong.

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
skooterbeej
(@skooterbeej)
10/10/2018 12:28 pm  

I think its a good thing to expand our membership. Records and Information governance isn't just about records, it is also about managing and governing it. I will be excited to see how they help out local chapters.

ReplyQuote
Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
11/10/2018 8:56 am  

It will be interesting to see how the IGBOK and InfoBok work together.  Personally, I would like to see one resource available for ARMA to eliminate any confusion.  

Andrew Ysasi, MS

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
11/10/2018 10:07 am  

I think that is the planning moving forward to merge the two BOKs into a single source

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Earl Johnson Jr., CRM
(@ejjr-21)
15/10/2018 1:56 pm  

Hate to be a sad sack, but I am one of those who thinks that ARMA is abandoning records management... and I suspect an organizational name change is coming soon to reflect that.

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Corporate Records Manager
EJohnson@RavagoAmericas.com

ReplyQuote
Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
16/10/2018 9:27 am  

Earl,

Hopefully, that is not the case.   IG covers RIM and most of their base is RIM practitioners.  ARMA has a ton of resources on RIM that comes in handy as well.  

I suspect as they build up their resources for privacy, security, technology, and audit it may seem like RIM is taking a back seat.  Hopefully, my optimism isn't misplaced.

Andrew

Andrew Ysasi, MS

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
17/10/2018 12:27 pm  

Earl

Records management is a key component of IG always has been.

here is but one view https://goo.gl/images/4eAf8J

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Earl Johnson Jr., CRM
(@ejjr-21)
17/10/2018 5:50 pm  

Peter and Andrew, not sure that I'd agree that RM is a component of IG, but--for the sake of argument, for years RM was out in front [of IG]. I'd been in RM for many years before I'd even heard of IG and now that this concept is growing, RM seems to be  taking a backseat as an IG "component." My concern is that ARMA has already started jumping on the bandwagon with these kinds of mergers and may end up being swallowed-up by changing philosophies. I'm still not convinced that IG is not more vendor-driven than practitioner driven, since that is where the $$$ is.

But hey, I don't mind admitting that I am still very much "old skewl" in my thinking...  🙂 

This post was modified 11 months ago 2 times by Earl Johnson Jr., CRM

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Corporate Records Manager
EJohnson@RavagoAmericas.com

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
17/10/2018 10:28 pm  

earl ARMA isn't just jumping on the IG bandwagon. they've been one of the leaders for at least 10 years.  and no it is not vendor-driven. in the IG world RM is treated as a co-equal. as the diagram i posted shows RM sits at the table with Legal, IT, Privacy and others. in Companies where IG is strong RM plays a role from day one when new IT systems are being brought on board. In the past RM concerns were an after thought.
IG breaks down the information silos.

"The Information Governance Maturity Model (Maturity Model) – which is based on the Generally Accepted Recordkeeping Principles® (Principles), as well as the extant standards, best practices, and legal/regulatory requirements that surround information governance – is meant to be deployed as a quality improvement tool."

https://www.arma.org/page/IGMaturityModel

pak

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
18/10/2018 10:13 am  

I think this states well what IG is and why RM is a part of it
"

Information governance goes beyond retention and disposition to include privacy, access controls, and other compliance issues. In electronic discovery, or e-discovery, relevant data in the form of electronically stored information is searched for by attorneys and placed on legal hold. IG includes consideration of how this data is held and controlled for e-discovery, and also provides a platform for defensible disposition and compliance. Additionally, metadata often accompanies electronically stored data and can be of great value to the enterprise if stored and managed correctly.

With all of these additional considerations that go beyond traditional records management, IG emerged as a platform for organizations to define policies at the enterprise level, across multiple jurisdictions. IG then also provides for the enforcement of these policies into the various repositories of information, data, and records."
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Information_governance.html

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Share: