Forum

After ARMA thoughts...

After ARMA thoughts....  

RSS

Andrew Ysasi, MS
(@andrew)
Member Admin
25/10/2018 7:27 pm  

Many of us are heading back from the ARMA Conference in Anaheim.  What your biggest takeaways?  Who was your favorite speaker?  What was your favorite event?

Below are my takeaways in no specific order:

• The networking was top-notch.  
  • The conference was laid back.
  • ARMA staff were friendly and accessible.
  • The number of vendors appeared to be down from previous years.  Notably, Iron Mountain and GRM were missing from the event. 
  • Infogov Magazine, Montana and Associates, and VRC threw great events.
  • Educational content from my perspective was limited, but that is because I had an expo-only pass.
  • The next conference is in Nashville, TN and the one after that is in Detroit, MI

What were your takeaways?  

Andrew Ysasi, MS
FIP, CIPM, CIPP, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP
Vice President of Advocacy | VRC

Topic Tags
Sarah Emes
(@sarahemes)
31/10/2018 3:15 pm  

ARMA staff were particularly available and friendly accept to support the little mobile app that worked so well for me in years past.  Alas, not this year - on 2 different Android devices it continually stopped and refused to play long enough to provide any evaluations, take notes or view resources.   

Thankful for the paper conference guide this year!

Great educational content for raising awareness to the transversal, collaborative and cross-functional aspects of successful Information Governance initiatives.   I feel that some sessions really exposed the gap between where organizations are with their team skillsets and intention to implement effective information governance and where they need to evolve to make quicker progress.

Glad ARMA recognized the value of the industry roundtable networking and hopeful it will be pulled forward to a focus in the welcome party next year.  

Good luck with this portal for all things IG!

ReplyQuote
Peter Kurilecz
(@pak152)
Member Moderator
31/10/2018 4:44 pm  

Sarah

were you using the app from the previous conferences or did you download and install the new app?. there were problems in the beginning with the new app but Nate (ARMA IT guru) was able to work with the vendor and correct the problems.

PeterK
pakurilecz@gmail.com
Dallas,Tx

ReplyQuote
Brian Moriki
(@brian-moriki)
19/11/2018 9:20 pm  

Can't believe the ARMA Conference is going back to Detroit in 2020...I went to the first one in the early 90s (1994?) and it was a disaster.

ReplyQuote
Earl Johnson Jr., CRM
(@ejjr-21)
28/11/2018 11:46 am  

I respectfully disagree with the "disaster" comment about the conference when it was in Detroit, as I was there that year and thought it was great! I'm not sure how many more of these I'll be attending as I'm unsure of the direction ARMA is heading, but I will plan to be in Motown again in 2020!

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Corporate Records Manager
EJohnson@RavagoAmericas.com

ReplyQuote
Brian Moriki
(@brian-moriki)
28/11/2018 1:03 pm  

No problem Earl...We can respectfully disagree...I was on the Marketing Advisory Committee for ARMA and we lost money on the conference due to poor attendance.  Like yourself, I'm unsure of ARMA's current direction, so going back to Motown is unlikely.

ReplyQuote
Earl Johnson Jr., CRM
(@ejjr-21)
28/11/2018 1:13 pm  

Thanks Brian, I agree that the attendance was down that year but I still thought that as an educational venue, the conference was great. With poor attendance it's no wonder ARMA lost money, but I also think that Detroit has had a bad--no, not bad, but undeserved reputation for years now. Don't know if you can go back to the days of the dinner dance/award banquets we used to have, where people actually dressed up to attend them!  🙂 

I admit to being old "skewl" and I miss those days....

Have a great day!

This post was modified 10 months ago 2 times by Earl Johnson Jr., CRM

Thanks.
Earl Johnson, Jr., CRM
Corporate Records Manager
EJohnson@RavagoAmericas.com

ReplyQuote
Brian Moriki
(@brian-moriki)
28/11/2018 1:19 pm  

No disagreement at all on those points Earl...ARMA was ALOT different back then with award banquets, Canadian Parties, etc. to make the conference more of an experience.  The educational content back then was very good, but could not offset the poor attendance.  The Hyatt twin towers was like a "prison" to many, as we were advised to take the "people mover" to Cobol Center due to crime in the area.  Hopefully, the landscape of Detroit has changed since then.

This post was modified 10 months ago by Brian Moriki

ReplyQuote
Share: