August 27, 2020
Waiver or Modification of Requirements Under Section 1135 of the Social Security Act in Louisiana and Texas as the Result of Hurricane Laura
What: HHS Secretary Azar has declared a Public Health Emergency as a result of Hurricane Laura
Where: States of Louisiana and Texas
- Please view the Waiver or Modification of Requirements under Section 1135 of the Social Security Act at: https://www.phe.gov/emergency/news/healthactions/section1135/Pages/louisiana-texas-laura-26Aug2020.aspx
- The Declaration of a Public Health Emergency (PHE) may be found at: https://www.phe.gov/emergency/news/healthactions/phe/Pages/hurricane-laura-louisana-texas-26Aug2020.aspx
- A direct link to OCR’s bulletin on Hurricane Laura and HIPAA may be found at: https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/laura-hipaa-bulletin.pdf
- For information about how the HIPAA Privacy Rule applies in an emergency, visit the OCR’S HIPAA Emergency Preparedness, Planning, and Response page or you may use the HIPAA Disclosures for Emergency Preparedness Decision Tool. A Spanish language version of OCR’s guidance on HIPAA and hurricanes may be found at: https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/hurricanes-and-hipaa-spanish-092617.pdf.
- For information regarding how federal civil rights laws apply in an emergency, visit the OCR’s Civil Rights Emergency Preparedness page.
- For information about emergency requirements for long-term care facilities, visit the CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule page.
DISCLAIMER: These guidance documents are not a final agency action, do not legally bind persons or entities outside the Federal government, and may be rescinded or modified in the Department’s discretion. Noncompliance with any voluntary standards (e.g., recommended practices) contained in these documents will not, in itself, result in any enforcement action.